What Happened at East Palestine?
On February 3, 2023, 11 unidentified train cars carrying toxic chemicals were derailed near East Palestine, Ohio, releasing at least 5 dangerous chemicals into the air, ground, and nearby rivers.
Under orders of Ohio Governor DeWine, a “controlled release” was conducted on February 6, and chemicals were set on fire to avoid explosion.
In the following days a toxic plume blanketed the Ohio River Valley passing Huntington West Virginia last week, 150 miles downstream. By river the toxic material has reached Cincinnati, 300 miles away, where butyl acrylate was detected by officials, prompting the closure of the Ohio River tributary intake.
Throughout the region authorities have downplayed the dangers, and tragically residents near the epicenter were told it was safe to go back home on February 8, when it was obviously not safe. Now people of the entire region are left wondering how big the risk is in their area and what they should do to stay vigilant to avoid potential contamination.
We don't have all the answers, but to help you navigate this terrible situation, we’ve compiled a list of the 5 chemicals of concern along with information regarding their harmful effects.
The 5 Hazardous Substances Leaked in East Palestine, Ohio:
- Vinyl chloride; This colorless, flammable gas is a human carcinogen used in PVC production which can be deadly when inhaled. It has a well documented history of causing certain types of lung, liver, and brain cancer, in addition to lymphoma, and leukemia. Acute symptoms may include irritation of the eyes, nose, throat, and lungs. Moreover, people may have nausea, tingling in the arms and legs, headaches, dizziness, drowsiness, or other symptoms. Additionally, the burning of this chemical can lead to the production of some of the most toxic forms of dioxin, known as 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-dioxin or “TCDD.” Dioxin, one of the primary ingredients in Agent Orange is a persistent chemical carcinogen and hormone disruptor which bioaccumulates across the food chain.
- Butyl acrylate: A clear liquid for producing sealants, solvents, and paints. Acute exposure often causes allergic skin reactions, nausea, vomiting, and irritation of the nose and eyes, and more serious long term effects may include cancer, developmental issues, cellular damage, neurological damage, reproductive toxicity, and organ system toxicity.
- Isobutylene: A highly flammable gas used in polymer production can cause dizziness and drowsiness in moderate amounts. Higher exposure can lead to coma or death
- Ethylhexyl acrylate: is a colorless liquid used to produce paints and plastics. It can irritate the skin and respiratory system and induce sore throats, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. It may also cause digestive problems, ulceration, and stomach cancer
- Ethylene glycol monobutyl ether: used as a solvent for paints, and cleaning supplies this chemical is acutely poisonous and very explosive. It irritates the skin and eyes, causing rashes on the skin, a sore throat, and coughing. It may also damage the central nervous system, kidneys, and liver.
Unfortunately there's only so much we can do to make sure various municipalities, state, and federal agencies do their job effectively, and don’t merely run cover for those who should be held responsible. Regardless of what they are saying on the mainstream news, it's important for you to continue staying vigilant. NatureHub will be giving more updates on this topic as it unfolds.
How To Detox Naturally?
If you are in the Ohio River Valley area and feel you are at risk of contamination, it's important that you take every precaution possible. Depending on how close you are, this may include leaving the area until its proven safe.
Additionally, drinking water filtered by reverse osmosis, using a HEPA grade air purifier, and avoiding food grown in areas surrounding the disaster site are also good ideas. These precautions may sound extreme, but the chemicals mentioned above are very difficult to remove from the body once they get inside us.
Unfortunately, in our current era, toxic exposure of one kind or another is almost unavoidable. So even if you aren't near the current disaster site adding foods that are known to help our organs detoxify naturally might help. Here are a few:
- stinging nettle
- turmeric root
- green tea
- red clover
- burdock root
- reishi mushroom
- lions mane mushroom
- holy basil
If you're looking for a place to find some of these ingredients without resorting to Amazon or big corporate chain stores, check out NatureHub Marketplace, which specializes in businesses selling small batch products with wholesome ingredients. One of our favorite brands you can find there is Roseman’s Remedies which has a selection of tinctures made with some of the cleansing ingredients listed above.
Thanks for sharing this article to help spread awareness and support independent journalism. NatureHub’s mission is to help you find healthy local businesses, and to help them compete against big box monstropolies. Thanks for checking out our new marketplace on NatureHub for all your organic handmade goods and herbal remedies!
Disclaimer: The NatureHub Blog provides general information about health related topics. The information provided on this blog, website or any linked materials are for informational purposes only, and not intended as medical advice, for diagnosis, or treatment of any disease, and should not be used as a substitute for consultation with a medical doctor.